- the act of saving or protecting from harm, risk, loss, destruction, etc.
- the state of being saved or protected from harm, risk, etc.
- a source, cause, or means of being saved or protected from harm, risk, etc.
- Theology – deliverance from the power and penalty of sin; redemption.
Do you have salvation? Are you saved?
The dictionary defines salvation in several ways, but the theological definition “deliverance from the power and penalty of sin” is the one issue that each person has had to deal with since the beginning of time.
What is the power of sin?
The bible tells us that the power of sin falls on each of us. Ecclesiastes 7:20 says “For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.” And again in Romans 3:10 “There is none righteous, no, not one”. Every one of us has sinned. The power of sin is that each of us has inherited the sin nature from our father Adam (Romans 5:19 “For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners”).
True reflection on your life (my life) reveals this truth. “All have sinned and come short of the glory of God”.
What is the penalty of sin?
We can see clearly that the power of sin in our lives is damaging enough, but there is a coming judgment. Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death” and Hebrews 9:27 “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment”. This coming judgment is simple, in the book of Revelation 20:15 “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.” How do you get your name written in the book of life? Having your name in the book of life is the same as having salvation.
Who is salvation?
You may be reading this right now and wondering why the question is “Who” rather than “what”. Salvation is a Person, not a thing! Jesus Christ is our Salvation! Just a couple of verses:
- I John 5:12 “He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.”
- John 14:6 “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
- Acts 4:10&12 “…the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth … Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”
Jesus is our Salvation, but what did He do?
The good news (gospel) is that “Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day” I Corinthians 15:3-4. “Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree.” I Peter 2:24. Jesus paid the penalty for our sin on the cross all those years ago.
How can I be saved?
The bible answer to this question is very simple. Acts 16:31 says “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved”. Do you believe that He is the one true God? Do you believe that He is your payment for your sins? If so, ask Him to save you right now. If you ask Him, believing that He can and will save you, He promises to save you: “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?” Romans 10:13-14.